PDA

View Full Version : S4

Albie
20-12-2004, 06:30 PM
Has anyone got any tips for me to get the best out of my new bike. What sort of things should I get done first like Steering dampers, etc.How do they perform with Michelin Pilots as standard tyre. Does anyone find the clutch heavy as its more noticable than my m900. :eek: Shock settings . Appreciate any feedback thanks. :D :D

NBs
20-12-2004, 06:54 PM
race It!!!

Albie
20-12-2004, 06:55 PM
Your on a Big letter Day today matey :D :D

Sarah
20-12-2004, 07:03 PM
Get rid of the Michelins! :mad:
:)

PaulS
20-12-2004, 07:04 PM
I have a steering damper on mine and it is an improvement (but not huge). I've always had Pirelli Dragon Evo's on mine and been happy with them. I've mostly heard bad things about the Michelin Pilots so never tried them. Yes the clutch is heavy, but I've fitted a 39 tooth rear sprocket (std is 37) which improves the bike for in town use and reduces the need to slip the clutch. I haven't raised the rear ride height on my bike as it is a pain to do despite the single rod adjuster (you can't get at the bottom nut) but the steering could do with quickening up a bit. I have the DP Termi kit (high level cans, open filter and ECU) which make it sound and look better (in my opinion - my neighbours would probably disagree) but I wouldn't like to say it runs better with them on.

Albie
20-12-2004, 07:36 PM
I have probably about 2-3000 miles worth of michelins so by summer will be changing them to maybe Bridgestones 010 or 020. Im after some termi Hi levels as I dont want sils which have for my m900. I could buy the link pipes but dont like them . Too noisy at 105 + dbs. :eek:

berto
23-12-2004, 07:07 PM
;) If you use it you will need a damper and anyone who says diff is talking p ish.208rr's or diablo's all you ever need.suspension needs to be suited to you don't f uck about take it to one who knows the dark art...Oh and bin the superhero suit it is soooo vulgar...s!!!!!! !! :twisted:

A Yerbury
23-12-2004, 07:15 PM
could be worse though.....

berto
23-12-2004, 07:17 PM
:p That's acceptable ....cos it was indoors...as well you know you cantankerous old fart!! :cool:

A Yerbury
23-12-2004, 07:20 PM
ah the sounds of furious back pedaling!! haha!

marchesini
23-12-2004, 10:16 PM
Ditto on the rear sprocket - especially if you use it around town. I wouldn't go for a renthal alloy one again though as I hooked mine in less than a 1000 miles (although I was told that they do tend to wear a lot faster if you don't keep on top of your lubing routine).

Again, not a michelin fan - don't like the profile. Changed for Pirelli Diablos(?) which seemed to work well for me.

If you are going to be doing any sort of track work, rearsets are a must. After my first session at Mallory, I was grinding the pegs - the first time it happened, it really caught me by surprise so I instinctively tried to stand the bike up again. Fortunately, I had some rearsets I had never fitted in the back of the van (which I was hoping to sell) so at lunchtime, with a lot of help from Zimbo, on they went. Much better and no pegs touching down although because it did away with the passenger pegs, the pipes managed to melt the back of my Alpinestars. So remember to buy some pipe guards aswell or a few rolls of Duck tape (which I used as a temporary heat shield on my boots). :rolleyes:

The shock is a matter of opinion - I used some settings that were given to me by Gary T (courtesy of MCN) just before Mallory. Raised the rear and then twiddled with a few other bits and it definitely steered quicker and it felt pretty good on the track aswell but .... I the let Dave Wood have a go on it and he came back on it after a single lap and said it was 'absolutely awful'. He then twiddled with it and it did feel better but not night and day so I guess that not everyone can feel the differences as well as some others. Having said that, the S4 has never let me down in the handling department. My suggestion would be to take it to Dave Wood who did a set-up day for the UKMOC and I don't think he charges the earth either (well, I hope not as he has my bike in pieces at the moment). :eek:

Oh, one last thing - a back protector - for when you start on those power wheelies. ;)

Take care and see you soon

simon

Albie
23-12-2004, 10:28 PM
;) If you use it you will need a damper and anyone who says diff is talking p ish.208rr's or diablo's all you ever need.suspension needs to be suited to you don't f uck about take it to one who knows the dark art...Oh and bin the superhero suit it is soooo vulgar...s!!!!!! !! :twisted:
I want to be a power ranger. i do I do I do. Its new and clean. Once it tones down it will be fine.
Got steering damper sorted thanks to my mate Simon.

marchesini
23-12-2004, 10:58 PM
I want to be a power ranger. i do I do I do. Its new and clean. Once it tones down it will be fine.
Got steering damper sorted thanks to my mate Simon.

Nowt wrong with Power Rangers .....

or the S4's handling. As you can see, they have no problem getting over - as opposed to my reluctance to 'get my knee down'.

Other pics show what happens to your boots if you don't use pipe guards (aswell as your recently acquired bits in action)!

Albie
24-12-2004, 05:58 AM
Hmm 2 power rangers in that last shot. Both on top cycles. :D :D

gary tompkins
24-12-2004, 12:24 PM

Hmm... we can soon fix that. A drunken crawl to a tent at 3am, across a sheep**** strewn field should tone down the colours a treat! We'll have to get you to a few NABD rallies and see what we can arrange :twisted:

memo to self - leave the mead alone :o

Shauns4
21-01-2005, 06:27 PM
termis, open air box, k&n filter, stage 1 ECU.
BT014's, the michelin pilot's i don't rate.
Alloy flywheel if you feel adventurous.
14t front, 39r rear sprocket.
NGK Iridium Plugs
Open clutch cover
sadly it all costs a small fortune!