PDA

View Full Version : Brass Monkey Run Sunday, January 2nd, 2005

Julie
20-12-2004, 05:35 PM
Brass Monkey Run - Coalville, Leicestershire
Sunday, January 2nd, 2005

New Years Day, the infamous Brass Monkey Run takes place, Bikers meet at Leicester, Derby, Nottingham, Burton on Trent, Rugby, and possibly more places , leave for the Vic at High Noon, they all arrive for free cup of hot soup and a roll, and entertainment paid for by motorcycle business’s. www.vicbikerpub.co.uk

Lets meet at the Vic at 11.30am

Mand
20-12-2004, 06:33 PM
I wonder if I could get two pairs of thermals under my leathers? :confused:

Julie
20-12-2004, 07:08 PM
Mand I do like your new glasses!!

Humuma Humuma

Mand
20-12-2004, 07:53 PM
Lovely aren't they? I particularly like the way my eyes are soooo pink!

Fancy going out to a Xmas party and forgetting to wax your upper lip. Unforgivable.

Paranoid Dave
20-12-2004, 09:03 PM
I have to ask, but seeing as this is the 'brass monkey run' I just wondered if you knew where the term "cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey" came from. I saw it on another forum long time ago and in a sad way I found it very interesting. Let me know if you want me to put my Sad hat on and explain ;)

A Yerbury
20-12-2004, 09:13 PM
crikey! please professor, do tell!

Paranoid Dave
20-12-2004, 10:31 PM
For the benefit of Mr Yerbs, honestly a man of your useless knowledge and interlect should know these things :rolleyes:

Back in days of yonder when war ships had cannon balls, the balls were made of Iron and in heavy winds and choppy seas would roll over the ship deck causing injury, so a plate was devised with dimples in it so the balls could be stacked ferrero rocher style in a square pyramid. The bottom layer sat in the dimples and the top layers built up to a point and no balls rolled the decks. However as the balls were iron and the plates were too when in times of trouble they came to need them they found the ammo was rusted to the base plate where salt water collected. It was suggested that making the plate out of a different material would solve the trick and so a sheet of brass was used to hold the pyramid in place and never again did they rust to the bottom. Only problem was that brass contracts and expands in varying temperature a lot more than iron, and the perfectly fitted plate would contract in the cold and the balls roll over the deck once more, the metal plate in case you hadn't guessed was called a 'monkey' and so in freezing winds it was literally "cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey"

That's how I heard it anyway, dunno if it's true but I hope so. :D

Here endeth today's lesson.

Drucilla
21-12-2004, 08:57 AM
Also brass monkey run sounds better than freeze yer tits off run