PDA

View Full Version : S4 link pipes

Scotty
19-12-2004, 09:38 PM
ok after a whole year or so it seems ive 'noticed' that us exhaust cans are on the **** ,one sticks out further than the other i have decided this is because the high level link pipe bits are not exactly a mirror immage or each other,
now i noticed on the monster weekender last year that somebody else had this problem,
and was wondering if a swap might be possible

was thinking it might have been possible that the ex challange bike had some of the bits mixed up other than the ecu's

Scotty
19-12-2004, 10:02 PM
http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/attachment.php?attachmentid=4700&stc=1

berto
21-12-2004, 07:40 AM
:D Cut and shut...ha-ha!!

PaulS
21-12-2004, 10:56 AM
Hi Scotty.

I have a non ex-challenge S4 that I have owned from new with high-level Termis fitted. My silencers don't sit symmetrically either. I don't think it's anything to do with your bike being ex-challenge, it's just poor workmanship.

Scotty
21-12-2004, 01:30 PM
Hi Scotty.

I have a non ex-challenge S4 that I have owned from new with high-level Termis fitted. My silencers don't sit symmetrically either. I don't think it's anything to do with your bike being ex-challenge, it's just poor workmanship.

bet ya dont fancy a swap of one
i must admit that mince arnt quite in A1 condition but a good polish wouldn't go a miss i guess

as you sit on the bike my right hand one makes the can possition look 'normal'
the left hand one makes the can point towards the number plate slightly more (which is slightly melted now will swap either one

Scotty
21-12-2004, 01:33 PM
on the chop n shut front i was wondering if my legs were different lengths , one side fits into the tank shape better than the other

paranioa fuel'd now like
doh

PaulS
21-12-2004, 05:23 PM
on the chop n shut front i was wondering if my legs were different lengths , one side fits into the tank shape better than the other

paranioa fuel'd now like
doh

Try "dressing" on the other side and see if the problem moves to the other side! To get back to the cans issue I'm not really interested in messing about with mine as it's a minor cosmetic issue on my bike. Both of mine point outwards but the left one is slightly more rotated from the vertical. I've tried adjusting it but doesn't make much difference. Neither of them are anywhere near the (legal-sized) number plate.

Scotty
21-12-2004, 05:56 PM
any other takers ???

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/attachment.php?attachmentid=4717&stc=1

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/attachment.php?attachmentid=4718&stc=1

oh and what is the paranoic about blanking numberplates ?

PaulS
21-12-2004, 06:13 PM
That looks decidedly bent to me. Now I've seen it and thought about it I don't think this can be due to you having two righthand link pipes. If this was the case the loop that the spring attaches to would be on the outside of the pipe rather than the inside. In case you haven't seen it the spring is supposed to fix the can to the link pipe. It looks to me like the alloy bracket under the seat that the hoop bolts to is bent on the left-hand side.

Scotty
21-12-2004, 07:15 PM
muss grumble :(
hummm card board cut out profile to compare with bikes at t local shope me thinks

uh any tips on bending thick aluminum ?

claicerrig
21-12-2004, 07:45 PM
Scotty

That looks exactly like the rear of my S4

Warm the ally up first and bend it very slowly ,just be aware of the edges cracking.Then allow it to cool slowly,Do not Chill "ie with water etc" as it will become brittle

Hope this helps

Clai

PaulS
21-12-2004, 08:02 PM
I seem to remember from my metalwork lessons at school that to anneal (soften for bending) aluminium we rubbed a bar of soap on it first and only put a blow torch on it until the soap burnt off so as not to overheat it. As Clai says, don't quench it.