PDA

View Full Version : chain snapped

Bear
19-12-2004, 06:29 PM
hey u guys haha had a lovely ride out to newark today nice dry roads sun shining bit chilly though got back nipped in house got back on the bike road down the road just changed into 3rd let go of clutch but bike didnt go anywhere knocked it down nothing still so i stopped put the bike into neutral rocked it back and fourth put it in 1st tried to pull off still nothing there so after a few mins of thinking what it could be i got off and looked down at where the chain should be and there was no chain it must have snapped just after i changed into 2nd i only had the chain and sprockets done a month ago and the bike has only done bout 30 miles since then and steady at that (my mates say i ride like a bitch haha) it looked like a weak link in the chain it snapped and it didnt look too clever at all the place were i take my bike (big boys toyz in sutton in ashfield brilliant place by the way) said this was very unusual as they have used these chains to race with and thet have always been very good anyway they offered to replace it for something more expensive free of charge even though it wasnt there fault which i think is good of them anyway has anyone else ever had the same problem if so just let me know via my email tar .Bear.

Zimbo
19-12-2004, 06:47 PM
It might just be me but I felt completely out of breath after reading all that! I usually use punctuation to take a breath, almost fainted!! :p

Rockhopper
19-12-2004, 08:03 PM
Serious answer....get your bike down to Cornerspeed in Kirkby in Ashfield, www.cornerspeed.co.uk Hes only round the corner from you and he only deals with Ducati's. Neil is the only person i allow to touch my bike. Tell him Rockhopper sent you and he'll do you a good deal.

Bear
19-12-2004, 10:31 PM
It might just be me but I felt completely out of breath after reading all that! I usually use punctuation to take a breath, almost fainted!! :p
thanks mate that was helpful

Bear
19-12-2004, 10:36 PM
Serious answer....get your bike down to Cornerspeed in Kirkby in Ashfield, www.cornerspeed.co.uk Hes only round the corner from you and he only deals with Ducati's. Neil is the only person i allow to touch my bike. Tell him Rockhopper sent you and he'll do you a good deal.

thanks rockhopper that actually was helpful i dont know where abouts in kirkby it is but ive emailed them so they can tell me have you ever been to big boys toyz in sutton since pete and andy took over pete is a ex duke technician and hes got a stunning monster of his own

norrie
20-12-2004, 12:23 PM
even though it wasnt there fault

If they supplied and fitted it I would think it is there fault.
It sounds as though it has not been fitted properly or they damaged it when fitting.
I think if it was me I would have wrapped the chain around the guys neck who fitted it.
You are very lucky not to have crashed or badly damaged the bike when this happened.
I know of a few people lately who have came off because the chain wrapped itself around the back wheel or cracked the engine block when the chain whipped off.

I certainly wouldn't use them again.
But it's up to you.

Norrie.

Rockhopper
20-12-2004, 03:18 PM
No i havent been to them, to be honest i have never heard of them!

Neil started about three years ago now. He is superb and if you join the Ducati Sporting Club you will get 10% off his labour rates as well! He spent a whole day getting a siezed air bypass screw out of our M600's carbs and he only charged me for one hours labour.

When a valve retaining ring snapped on my ST4 he worked til 9 at night to get it fixed, he found me a second hand cam shaft and he actually gave me a spare closing rocker he had in stock. The bill came to £300 but it should have been closer to £600 if he had charged me what it actually cost or could have cost from somewhere like JHP.

He will let you stand beside him and watch him do the work and he always saves the parts he has changed so you know that what you have paid for has actually been done.

Scotty
20-12-2004, 03:21 PM
uh snapped chain , broken engine bits, a bottemless hole to fill with credit card money , noooooooooo, make the nightmares stop

gary tompkins
20-12-2004, 06:31 PM
If the chain snapped at the rivet link (easily spotted) then it's most probably down to cowboy fitting, and the shop deserves a slap. As others have already said if the chain had failed at higher speed, or on a bend it could have been fatal.

If the chain snapped somewhere other than the rivet link it could be a manufacturing fault, but if it was a good quality o-ring chain it shouldn't happen. You should always use a high spec chain on twins like Ducatis, because the torque pulses from the engine will wreck a cheapo one in no time.

Racing chains are not usually recommended by manufacturers for road bikes, they are usually made lighter for less friction/power loss, and the wear index is much lower than OE spec kit.

Did you check the shop hadn't over-tightend the chain after fitting it, and also made sure they inspected all effected parts of the bike for damage afterwards?

Albie
20-12-2004, 07:05 PM
No i havent been to them, to be honest i have never heard of them!

Neil started about three years ago now. He is superb and if you join the Ducati Sporting Club you will get 10% off his labour rates as well! He spent a whole day getting a siezed air bypass screw out of our M600's carbs and he only charged me for one hours labour.

When a valve retaining ring snapped on my ST4 he worked til 9 at night to get it fixed, he found me a second hand cam shaft and he actually gave me a spare closing rocker he had in stock. The bill came to £300 but it should have been closer to £600 if he had charged me what it actually cost or could have cost from somewhere like JHP.

He will let you stand beside him and watch him do the work and he always saves the parts he has changed so you know that what you have paid for has actually been done.
I can vouch for Nelly. a friend of mine would have been looking at least 2k worth of work had he replaced worn prematurly parts because of poor plating on his 996. Neil got him 2 almost new heads and serviced but still came to 1300. He is highly recommended Cornerspeed.

gary tompkins
21-12-2004, 12:07 AM
Nice power ranger suit Albie - looks like you picked up a real bargain there mate :cool: :D