PDA

View Full Version : Engine Stalling

Mark Walker
13-12-2004, 09:04 AM
Right, I know this sort of topic has been covered before, but I am still a new boy and this is my first winter....so please humour me!

Over the last couple of weeks, when I have been starting up in the morning (the bike that is), I've had the choke out and the bike running......after a few minutes the revs drop (while the choke is still out) and if I don't give the throttle a few revs the bike stalls. Regardless of what position the choke is in at this point the revs do not climb. Is this normal. Also, until the bike has been running for 5-10 minutes it often stalls when idling at lights, unless I keep the revs up.

Now I kind of thought I would need to adjust the throttle cable a little to compensate for the revs, and it hasn't seemed quite right on a couple of occasions, but I was a bit confused about the choke. Does this sound like it needs a new cable, or are my troubles the sort that could be easily cleared up with some sort of fuel additive or hotter spark plugs to compensate for the cold weather.

Once it is nice and warm it runs like a dream, so I was just presuming that the problems with stalling were normal......but I am happy to listen to any suggestions to make life smoother.

Either way, I still had a big grin on my face when I got to work.....although my lips were blue :eek:

A Yerbury
13-12-2004, 10:59 AM
pro fst and hotter plugs, its the damp cold and I find foggy weather thats the worst dpr 8 plugs are hotter, I wouldnt worry about the choke too much you can see the slide throgh the side so you can se the play you have, mine just comes out the side on a piece of sealed wire.

stef
13-12-2004, 01:17 PM
i removed the choke cable on mine i only use the small tab on the left of the carbs. (less to go wrong)
i let it warm up on the choke for 30s-1min.. and then set off, compensating on the throttle. It will also stall if i let it go. When warm its fine though

madhatter
13-12-2004, 01:25 PM
I let it warm up on the choke for 30s-1min.. and then set off, compensating on the throttle. It will also stall if i let it go. When warm its fine though.

Yep...my 750 is the same. If you let it run for too long on the choke, it.....well....chokes itself and you have to "blip" the throttle. Same thing when setting off cold, it will stall at the first junction if you don't control it on the throttle. I have also found even when hot if you suddenly come from 80mph to a sharp stop, this can also make it stall. Other than that she generally runs quite well, just a bit "farty" at 30mph. :D

Thought it was just one of the joys of riding a V-Twin.....never occurred to me there might be something technical to improve it.. :o ...I leave that sort of thing to techno-boffs like our Yerbs.. :lol:

Tigerlily
13-12-2004, 01:29 PM
My 600 is pretty much the same.......it likes to be warmed up for a good few minutes before setting off otherwise it stalls.

Mark Walker
13-12-2004, 01:29 PM
As long as it ain't just me then!

And it's still a lot more fun than driving to work! Roll on 4:30.....

madhatter
13-12-2004, 01:31 PM
As long as it ain't just me then! And it's still a lot more fun than driving to work! Roll on 4:30.....

It just means you need to be a more skilled biker to ride a Ducati, than your average plastic bubble crotch rocket pilot!! :p

Mark Walker
13-12-2004, 01:35 PM
by the way.....just hijacking my own thread, what tyre pressure should I be looking at for a 600......seem to have seen a number of different suggestions over the last couple of weeks, but need a better idea before I try and check the pressure when I get home tonight........

A Yerbury
13-12-2004, 04:36 PM
30 33 front rear respectively, you could all increase the idle tickover a bit if you are a stalling a lot.

spacemonkey
13-12-2004, 09:24 PM
...but of course only turn the screw in when the throttle is opened or you will bore a hole in the slide, which will cause it to stick, then your in a world of hurt...

A Yerbury
13-12-2004, 10:07 PM
really nick? I thought it was just the idle jet?!

Rockhopper
14-12-2004, 03:36 AM
The tick over speed is adjusted by a simple throttle stop screw. No risk of damage to the slides or anything else that i can see.. :confused:

spacemonkey
14-12-2004, 06:46 PM
That's alright then! As my bike is 120 miles away from me I can't pop out and look-I'm just going on experience from other machines that I have had the mispleasure of knackering...

Mark Walker
15-12-2004, 10:33 AM
Seems to be going okay now.....probably just needed a damn good run out....usually only get to use it once or twice a week, but this week (and next) the non-driving love of my life is working at a different hospital so I don't need to drive her in........hence the bike is out to play everyday! Was running like a dream this morning! Still think I might need to adjust the throttle slightly....but still loving it......

scrumpster
15-12-2004, 08:28 PM
Mark, I have had exactly the same problem on the short run to work and home, even if I let her run for a good few minutes before set off, then I put her into first and she stalls, and at every set of lights and roundabout.

Some cheeky git at work said a bike like that should only be used for fun!! I was a bit worried when she got me home with one cylinder firing, and sounding like a tractor! Spark plugs were gunked, so now regularly watching them! She is in the garage and has been for a week plugged into the optimiser :rolleyes: It is reassuring to find out about these quirks and that it seems pretty normal, and I still love Munch...........but roll on SPRING ;)

Mark Walker
16-12-2004, 08:46 AM
Should only be used for fun? That's what riding is all about isn't it? What would you ride if you didn't want to have fun?

As you say its nice to hear that you are not the only one with such problems and it all seems quite normal, and after a few good runs she's running like a dream......just a pity I had to leave her tucked up in bed this morning.....booo!

DesmoDog
16-12-2004, 11:06 AM
Got to admit that as much as I'd like to argue the toss that my bike is a solid all rounder that is as much fun as pratical, but its not. Its a 97 monny thats seen better days, I've decided that its not suited to the very short trip to my work and so I'm just going to use her for fun, oh and posing.

A Yerbury
16-12-2004, 11:10 AM
srumpy, mine would stall in first, after the choke etc, you just need to give the throttle a bit of a manly blip, a lower front sprocket makes pulling away less shaky too.

spacemonkey
16-12-2004, 07:19 PM
Ooh, hello...who's the fine filly guest starring in today's avatar?

A Yerbury
16-12-2004, 08:32 PM
Ellen, dutch, model, lovely lass. I still have the scars but worthwhile. plenty more eels in the canal and all that.

Richard_S
16-12-2004, 10:33 PM
thats the beauty of it. a stroke of the face combo grin moment.

they brake your heart but in the end your glad.

spacemonkey
18-12-2004, 11:28 AM
Ah, scars. I have a whole international collection of them...