PDA

View Full Version : how much for an air-filter

craigie
12-12-2004, 02:24 PM
just had a look and its filthy, and the previous owner has hacked the top of the airbox cover off so I'm thinking it may need a performance filter of some kind. the one thats in has DRAGONKING on it.

how much do these go for?

cheers

Craig

DesmoDom
12-12-2004, 02:40 PM
Average price for something like a K&N is around £50.00, if that's of any help.
Try Stuart at Spareshack first, also try M&P, MPS or Demon Tweeks and the like.

Baz

A Yerbury
12-12-2004, 03:20 PM
the kn s are about 50, theres an ebay fella does em for about 40. the ducati kit is an open lid and filter combo which is also 50. the kn cleaning kits are about a tenner and last a long time.

DesmoDom
12-12-2004, 03:38 PM
Can't argue with you there Mr Yerbs, the K&N's do last a long time and give excellent air flow !!!

Baz

craigie
12-12-2004, 07:34 PM
cheers boys, a bit more pricy than I was hoping what with xmas then service (with shimmin') then mot (with bald tyres) then tax. oh and whatever my 'nip' will be. ah well, skint for another year. some things never change.

Craig

Fosse Foxfight
17-12-2004, 10:50 AM
cheers boys, a bit more pricy than I was hoping what with xmas then service (with shimmin') then mot (with bald tyres) then tax. oh and whatever my 'nip' will be. ah well, skint for another year. some things never change.

Craig

Now you say you wanna use a "performance" air filter......has your machine been Dynojetted?....Stage 1?...Stage 2?....if it hasnt to be honest dont waste 50 quid on a K&N it aint worth it. Just go and get a stock air filter......I got a strange feeling that a VW Polo from 87 takes the same air filter?
Anyway dont buy an expensive one if ya bike aint been jetted.

ta ra me ducks......

craigie
17-12-2004, 07:46 PM
Now you say you wanna use a "performance" air filter......has your machine been Dynojetted?....Stage 1?...Stage 2?....if it hasnt to be honest dont waste 50 quid on a K&N it aint worth it. Just go and get a stock air filter......I got a strange feeling that a VW Polo from 87 takes the same air filter?
Anyway dont buy an expensive one if ya bike aint been jetted.

ta ra me ducks......

too late now, got a K&N. bike ain't jetted, its injected and maybe chipped, if thats the same thing?
ta for the info though.

cheers

Craig

A Yerbury
17-12-2004, 07:51 PM
it wont hurt and may make a smidgen, you might like to drill the lid a bit or remove the trumpet things, Im not familiar with the ie bikes but there may be a way to "look and see" if the chip has been upgraded, tweaked. at least youll not need to buy any paper filters and the kns need hardly any cleaning and re oiling.

Garry Hogan
17-12-2004, 08:04 PM
I put a KN filter in my carbed 750 over a year ago and apart from making it run a bit smoother, it also makes a FAB noise when you open it up :D I tried taking off the trumpets on top of the airbox, but that made the bike 'hunt' on part throttle :( What I ended up doing was 'modifying' said trumpets (stanley knife) and now it makes a lurrrvvely sound between 5 and 9 :eek: thousand RPM :burnout: It cost £38 from the NEC last year :lol:

Albie
17-12-2004, 08:23 PM
My 900 has a k&N and didnt appreciate the intake noise until I put it back to satndard form ie quiet mode. What an wow sound. Mind you the s4 seemed to do it but not checked whats under the cover yet.

craigie
18-12-2004, 03:17 PM
it wont hurt and may make a smidgen, you might like to drill the lid a bit or remove the trumpet things, Im not familiar with the ie bikes but there may be a way to "look and see" if the chip has been upgraded, tweaked. at least youll not need to buy any paper filters and the kns need hardly any cleaning and re oiling.

the lid has no top, just the sides and some saw marks at the top of them, so I have no idea what trumpets you are on about???

have to go for a ride before I can change it as I foolishly filled the tank the other day and it being cold I'm on minimum use at the mo'. will let you all know if it is any different when I do change it.

craigie
19-12-2004, 02:55 PM
the lid has no top, just the sides and some saw marks at the top of them, so I have no idea what trumpets you are on about???

have just changed it and now I know what trumpets you're on about, what does removing them do?
also it was a Ducati Performance filter in there before so hopefully a stage 1 K&N is about right.
haven't had a chance to ride it yet as I've just been going round in circles to be able to lift the tank.

if anyone does know how to check if the chip has been changed I'd appreciate knowing too.

cheers

Craig