PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust collar split thingys

Paranoid Dave
07-12-2004, 08:47 PM
The manuals etc tell you that if you take your headers off you should replace the two half moon collar type thingys i think, I have taken headers off and my bits are looking old and a tad on the oxidised side.
Do I replace, clean, how do I check condition, how much are they?

Any advice would be good thanks, if I have to I'll call a dealers and get some posted but if I can save myself the cash then :D

Thanks
PD

spacemonkey
07-12-2004, 08:56 PM
Never heard that one before. I know you should defo change the mangy gaskets, but the colletts on mine have only just been changed, and they have been off more time than a 14 year old Essex girls pants.

DavidT
07-12-2004, 08:57 PM
I had mine off earlier in the year and had to replace the collets because they were rusted to holes. The clamp on the front cylinder was also so badly rusted that the new collets did not fit into the rebate properly. Remember to replace the sealing washers too.

DesmoDom
07-12-2004, 09:00 PM
Dave, it's a shame you don't have a 750/900, as I just happen to have 2 pairs of half bushes (as they call them) and the header crush gaskets for the very job you are doing. I got them for my last 900ss.
Sorry.

Baz

Pedro
07-12-2004, 09:44 PM
Dave, it's a shame you don't have a 750/900, as I just happen to have 2 pairs of half bushes (as they call them) and the header crush gaskets for the very job you are doing. I got them for my last 900ss.
Sorry.

Baz

Baz!!

Wanna send them to a good home?

Ped

Paranoid Dave
07-12-2004, 10:05 PM
Ok so I gom gaskets mixed up with my bushes, but where the hell are the gaskets? I took the pipe out, the collar off and the bushes, I'm left with a bare angine casing hole but see no gasket to replace? Am I looking in the wrong place, and if it's not there how have I gone the last +6000 miles without them?

First i was confused, now I'm just confused again? :confused:

DesmoDom
07-12-2004, 10:13 PM
Ped, I'm sure we could come to some sort of bartering type deal :D :D :D .

Dave, You'll find that they're stuck in the head and need hooking out, they're a sort of asbestos ring with an aluminium covering type thingy :D
Unless the 600 don't have them of course, stranger things and all that !!!

Baz

stef
08-12-2004, 07:40 AM
i changed both last october. cost 12 squids if my memory serves me right.
they are just 2 half rings type of things (0.5cm thick??).
all in all you have your pipe, two half rings, a bigger flange thingy to go on the lot and 2 nuts to tighten the assembly. didnt see no gaskets.
i just read this again... spare me all the jokes..

A Yerbury
08-12-2004, 11:29 AM
c'est vrai. 2 steel lipped half o things -collets perhaps? flange and 2 tough flange nuts.
when I bought mine it only had one? I think about 11-12 quid but was that one or a pair?? hmmmm. I would only bother replacing them if really mangled, its not like an o ring or paper gasket?
lex.

stef
08-12-2004, 11:51 AM
12 squids for 2 pairs. they are the weakest link here. they take as much stress as the exhaust (thermal cycling), but they are not stainless steel.
so they perish eventually. mine were really rusty. (i had crusty split rings :eek: )(damn.. i have done it.)

Garry Hogan
09-12-2004, 04:28 PM
Savlon's good for "crusty split rings", apparently :D