PDA

View Full Version : ebay - warning phishing

rjc
07-12-2004, 07:51 AM
Hi all,

I thought I'd warn you all about this because I know many of use eBay from time to time.

I've just sold something on eBay and got to know that someone was attacked using my sale. About 2 days after the auction closed someone contacted me saying that they had recieved a 2nd chance notice but that it didn't look quite right.

When he forwarded it to me I realised it was a very convincing eBay email with all the right formatting and graphics. What was wrong was just the seller's name and the price of the item. What it did was all the usual 2nd chance blurb and a link to an online payment system to which I do NOT subscribe, inviting him to pay automatically and have the item despatched.

So if you do get such a notice my advice is to contact the seller and confirm it, and to be aware of who you're paying should you be using some sort of online payment method (ie PayPal).

Richard

Mrs Soup
07-12-2004, 12:16 PM
We have also recieved a bogus second chance offer in this way.

All the ebay wording and graphics were there but the text from the 'vendor' looked distinctly dodgy and the email address was not the vendor's. We checked the email account profile which had been set up 2minutes before sending our email, and contacted the vendor on the other email address to verify.

I would recommend that you do this if you get a second chance offer which looks in anyway suspect.

queen_gpants
07-12-2004, 02:39 PM
There are loads of Ebay scam emails going around!

I got one the other day saying my credit card details were incorrect and needed updating and that my account had been suspended. It said click on this link which would take me to my account, once my details were updated my account would return to normal.

I knew this complete rubbish and when I checked my account it was fine!

I never ever trust emails no matter how convincing they look and always go directly to the website and into my account that way, dont ever click on links on emails.

These criminals are getting more and more sophisticated you've just got to be on your guard and they won't catch you out!