PDA

View Full Version : 620ie won't start and its driving me MAD !!!

AlexTaylor
06-12-2004, 04:49 PM
I recently bought a '03 620 ie from 3X in Dorset. It had a new ECU fitted during the last service a couple of weeks ago (prior to me picking it up).

At times the bike will start first time and at others she won't start at all. I'll turn her over maybe 10 times and nothing (she just won't fire up). I've tried removing the key, leaving it in, trying spare keys, on a hill, on the flat, when she's cold, after a ride out ... but there is no real set pattern as to why she won't start.

If I leave her for half an hour she'll normally spark up but only with the Monsterthrottle open. Also I can't seem to bump start her, although I did give up after 3 attempts as my patience had worn thin !

I've checked the fuel and the cables but nothing seems wrong - any ideas ? Could the new ECU be causing problems or maybe the immobiliser ?

Any help you be great
Alex

Nigel C
06-12-2004, 04:56 PM
Sorry if i'm stating the obvious but have you checked for a loose fuse ? and any other connections you can find to make sure they are secure ?.

really sounds like you have a loose connection somewhere

AlexTaylor
06-12-2004, 05:02 PM
I've checked all that I can think of ... I'll try again tonight. Sods law says she'll start first time tonight !

Pedro
06-12-2004, 09:56 PM
Alex

assuming you have a warranty, give it back to 3X to sort!

Let their patience wear thin!!!!

Ped

slob
07-12-2004, 08:47 AM
I'm with Pedro... get it back to 3X and get the buggers to sort it while the purchase is still 'recent'!

tony_unn
07-12-2004, 09:41 AM
Remember with it being fuel injected unless the electrics are right you will find it almost impossible to start as the fuel pump and the ecu need to be right in order for it to fire up, carbs were easier as they just needed a draught of air to suck in the fuel.

If it has a warranty and doesn't start firt time get it back to them.

JMo
07-12-2004, 10:12 AM
Alex - when they fit a new ECU, it needs 'setting up' correctly using their diognostics computer to map it properly for the specific application/bike, otherwise it runs in a general standby 'get you home' type mode.

I know this because my dealer fitted a new ECU as part of an insurance rebuild (£700 thank you Mr Norwich Union), only they didn't set it up and the bike ran like crap - the ignition essentially cutting out at low revs.

After a couple of times of the dealer 'fiddling' for twenty minutes - I called Ducati UK myself and they confirmed the set up takes at least an hour and half to do properly, and infact the guy from Ducati who eventually did it took over two hours to get it just so.

As it transpired, there was nothing wrong with the old ECU (which I actually refitted prior to the set up), rather it was the dealer who didn't know how to set it up properly...

That might be the problem here?

Good luck...

xxx

AlexTaylor
07-12-2004, 01:43 PM
Thanks for all the feedback ... 3X are going to pick it up tomorrow, we'll see how they get on ! :rolleyes:

AlexTaylor
14-12-2004, 03:22 PM
Thanks for all the feedback guys ... 3X have now fixed the starting problem and traced it to a faulty rpm sensor.